Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Monday, March 13, 2006

sollayo vaai thiranthu

This is one song that has always made me forget my surroundings and immerse in it completely.

The soothing voice of Jananki and Raja's out-of-the-world music, always have a tranquilizing effect on me. But, this song had also set me thinking on many occassions.

I knew the song is from the movie 'mohamul', based on Thi.Ja's novel by the same name. I have seen the movie in bits and pieces previously. I had just known that the movie is about the travails of a girl who is not yet married. The lyrics of the song had also implied the same to me.

aahaaya sooriyan merkkinil saaya
ekaandha velaiyil mohamul paaya

I had always equated the song to 'azhagu malar ada'. Only when I read the book, I realized how mistaken I was.


Set in the late 40's and the early 50's mohamul(thorn of lust), is a book about the desires of a young boy named Babu. It is all about his desire for Yamuna, who is ten years elder to him!

The book spread through ten years of Babu's life, is a beautiful lesson in human relationships and the myriad ways in which a person's mind perceives the relationships with people around him/her.

The book is too good for words. And for those who have the time and inclination to read a slow-paced book, it is heaven. The descriptions about the yesteryear Kumbakonam, is nice in a non-picturesque way.

The author does not paint a picture of Kaveri bank, Govt. College and the Kumbeswaran temple. But, he transports you there. He does describe the outdoor and the natural scenery. But, he doesn't bamboozle you with descriptive phrases of the lush greenery and the fertility. But, the prose underlines the same in a very non-obtrusive way.

The pictures he has painted of Chennai are also good. Triplicane, Esplanade, Purasawalkam and the Marina Beach! But somehow it did not strike a chord in me!

Coming to the purpose of this blog. The book was in some ways an anticlimax to me. As I had mentioned, I believed it to be the travails of an ageing, beautiful damsel. It turned out to be otherwise.

The person who was pining was Babu. He who viewed her as divine in the beginning. He who himself remembers Yamuna treating him like a baby. He who thinks Yamuna is not meant for the mortal. It is the same Babu who longs for her.

What made Babu desire here? I still cannot understand. In the beginning, I thought he is moved by her plight and the fact that her family is worried over her marriage. But, he himself doesn't want her to be a normal woman. He thinks she is not meant to marry some dullard, bear his children and be an ordinary woman.

Every person has an imaginary form in the mind during their teens. This person is your ideal man/woman on earth. You want a life partner like that. It may be anyone. Your own parent, siblings, realtives, friends or popular faces. I think for Babu, this was Yamuna. The girl he admired and worshipped!

The brief incident(!) with the neighour woman, should have jolted Babu out of his senses. That is when he fully relaized that the form in his sub conscious mind is Yamuna. Maybe this sudden realization was the cause for him blurting out everything to her that morning!

But, in the following years he seems to have overcome that. After the final year exams, as he spends his time lazily in his village, he himself chides him for having spoken about this to Yamuna. He thinks it is a thing of the past.

Ranganna, is not just a chapter in Babu's life, he is an essential part of Babu's life. After, almost dedicating his life to music, I thought Babu will not look back at Yamuna.

Yes, I still knew it was the thoughts about her, that were withholding him from getting married. But, I never thought at such a later stage, even after a decade, he will still be harboring the same thoughts.

Though he was younger to her, Yamuna always considered Babu to be a good friend. She genuinely respects him and is a well-wisher. I did not know what to make out, when she finally gives him the go-ahead.

I have two questions now:

1. The song 'sollayo' is picturised on Yamuna in the movie. Never in the book did I find anything indicating this. Is the movie a full interpretation of the book, or is it just an adaptation?

2. The question Yamuna asked - "itharkkuthana?"

I also ask, "itharkkuthana?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Bhuvana said...

The song is not shot on Yamuna

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home